Bike Rentals along the Austrian Danube
If you intend to cycle from Passau to Vienna, think about renting your bicycle in Vienna and having your suitcases stored at the Viennese hotel meanwhile. You take the train to Passau, either the RadTramper train or a regular train. Quite a few rental services opened in Vienna in the previous years. Have a look at the list at the end of this page and compare the offers.
Bike rental services in Passau
- Rent A Bike Passau: situated at the western end at Passau's main train station, a bike is between €9 and €13 per day, open seven days a week from March to October (9 am to 12:30 pm and 3 pm to 6 pm), a pick-up service from all along the route to Vienna is available (surcharge of about €30 per bike), they also sell parts in the shop
- Fahrrad-Klinik Passau: a bike shop next to Altes Bräuhaus tavern within the old town of Passau, bikes from €10 to €12 per day, e-bikes and tandems are available as well, open Mondays to Fridays (9 am to 6 pm, with one siesta hour at noon), open also Saturday forenoons, a pick-up service from a specific hotel 5 miles before Vienna is available (surcharge of about €25 per bike)
- Fahrradladen-Passau: a small shop at the northwest end of Passau's old town, next to the Danube and the cycle path, a bike is between €9 and €12 per day, tandems and e-bikes are available as well, open Mondays to Fridays 8 am to 6 pm and on Saturdays 8 am to 2 pm, bicycle return beyond business hours via lockable bike boxes 150yd away from the shop
Bike rental services in Vienna
- Pedal Power Vienna: provides bicycles as well as guided bike tours through the city; they also offer to support your self-sustained Passau to Vienna cycle tour with start and end in Vienna, providing a bicycle, train tickets to Passau and an Esterbauer guide book
- ViennaExplorer: offers rental bicycles as well as guided day trips in and around Vienna; you can also rent proper touring/hybrid bicycles including Ortlieb panniers which they deliver to Passau
- Trek Bicycle Vienna: rents out hybrids (called 'Trekking Bikes') from German manufacturer Diamant (owned by Trek since 2002), the store is situated centrally in Vienna
- Bike20: call their hybrids 'Trekkingbikes'; the shop is located in the North of Vienna
- CityBikeWien is Vienna's rental service for city bikes. Once you register yourself online, you can rent bicycles from about 110 rental stations across the city. To register (and to rent a bicycle), you need a credit card (VISA or MaterCard). One bicycle per credit card only. First hour is always free! Hence return your bike throughout your city tour once in a while, leave it there for 15+ minutes and have it for free for another hour. Perfect if you don't intent to leave the city.
- If you like to cycle for a day in Vienna's famous Prater park rent your bicycle at Bicycle rental Hochschaubahn. The Prater ist where there is the big ferris wheel. (rental station)
- Another rental service, a bit outside the center but easier to reach via subway, is Copa Cagrana. However, their website is available in German only. Situated in the North-East of Vienna.
- Donau Fritzi: Quite a bit outside of Vienna you find a bike shop that rents out bicycles as well. Website in German only.
Many of the bike rental services in Vienna offer their bicycles hourly as well as on a daily basis. Also, the second day is usually cheaper than the first one. Estimate €20 to €30 per day.
E-bike rental services in Vienna
Riding e-bikes (or: 'Pedelecs') becomes more and more popular on the Danube cycle path. You possibly think already about renting an e-bike too, for yourself or for your friend. That's why we list e-bike rental services here:
- Radmechaniker: click on 'eBIKE Verleih', then scroll down to 'CITY-eBIKE' to see the e-bikes and the cost; currently about €25 to €30 per day; website unfortunately in German only; you require to pay a deposit of €50 in advance - which may be the biggest challenge
- e-zweirad.at: englisch website, yeah!, they will open the shop if you want to pick up your bicycle outside business hours and offer to deliver the bicycle to your hotel in Vienna (BTW: In our experience one battery shall be sufficient. You charge the battery at night at the room.)
- enzovelo: to complete the list, German speaking website only
- dieradstation: offers e-bikes and regular bicycles, German speaking website, situated at the main station, extensive business hours (6 am to 8 pm every day)
- Donau Fritzi: same shop as listed above, German website only, situated in the very North of Vienna