Getting to the Danube cycle path in Austria
Nearby international airports (most western first)
- Munich (120mi from Passau, Code: MUC)
- Salzburg (70mi from Passau, Code: SZG)
- Vienna (10mi outside Vienna, Code: VIE)
- Bratislava (7mi outside Bratislava, Code: BTS)
Getting from Vienna to Passau by bus (for cyclists!)
Between April and September, a direct bus from just outside Vienna to Passau will be available. The service is called 'Radbus Klosterneuburg-Passau'. The bus takes passengers and their bicycle and luggage one-way from the town of Klosterneuburg to Passau. (Klosterneuburg is about 10 miles outside Vienna, on the Danube cycle path.)
The bus departs daily from Thursdays to Sundays, April to September. Tickets are available in the tourist office in Klosterneuburg only! Hence we recommend booking your place(s) in advance, either over the phone or by email. Tickets must be picked up at least 24 hours before departure. You might want to do that on your way to Vienna. The office opens from 10 am to 7 pm daily (source, email@example.com, p: +43 2243 320 38).
The bus is a 40-seater and got a bike trailer to take your bicycle.
Cost (in 2020): €40 adult (bicycle incl.), €35 children at the age of 5 to 17 (bicycle incl.), toddlers and their bicycles go free
Schedule: 10 am from Klosterneuburg (We expect the bus to arrive at Passau main station between 1 and 2 pm. Calculate additional time to unload the bicycles.)
You are requested to be at the bus stop one hour in advance (9 am)! The bicycles will be loaded between 9 and 10 am. Address of the bus stop: In der Au 2-4, 3400 Klosterneuburg (in front of 'Happyland' leisure center)
Getting from Vienna to Passau by train
The possibly most convenient way to travel between Vienna and Passau is to go by train. Regular trains operate all year round and take about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The Austrian national railway company, ÖBB, sells tickets from about €50 per person. Train-specific, lower priced tickets might be available and need to be purchased beforehand. In any event, train tickets become available to book online 180 days prior to departure.
By the way: Vienna got several major train stations. Each one serves trains that come from or go into different directions. The most relevant stations are: Wien Westbahnhof, Wien Hauptbahnhof, Wien Praterstern, Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof, Wien Meidling and Wien Mitte-Landstraße. But no need to get confused. None of them is more than four miles away from the city center. A cab will always be happy getting you there. And the newly rebuilt main station (Wien Hauptbahnhof) connects trains from many directions now.
If you struggle with the ÖBB website, we recommend using the service of Deutsch Bahn: bahn.com Their website is much more user friendly and you are even able to book the passage if it includes a train station within Germany (for example Passau). If you plan to bring your bicycle, tick where it says 'Carriage of bicycle' before sending your query.
Additionally, several coaches go between Vienna and Passau every day: Flixbus Coaches Bicycles can be taken along, but not too many!
Getting from Munich to Passau
Like with travelling Vienna<-->Passau, it is most convenient to use the train in order to get from Munich to Passau. The train station in Passau is located centrally. A taxi from Passau station to most of the hotels is less than €8 at daylight. Your preferred accommodation might even be in walking distance.
The train journey from Munich takes about two hours. With the regular fare being around €35 to €45 per person, much lower priced tickets are available. They are called 'Bayern-Ticket' or 'Regio-Ticket Donau-Isar' and are valid on all regional trains. If you don't like using vending machines at the station, get your ticket from one of the counters. Ask if there is a connection that provides one of the cheaper options to ride. Alternatively, get your train ticket online (available from 180 days prior to departure), for example on bahn.com. A reservation on regional trains is not necessary.
Parking in Passau (long-term)
There are four ways to park your car or motorhome in (and around) Passau:
- Book an overnight stay in one of these places and have your vehicle parked (unattended) on its premises while cycling the Danube: Pension Gambrinus (free parking), Hotel Burgwald (free parking), Hotel Dreiflüssehof (free parking), Gasthof Zur Post (€12 per week)
- Park it in a multi-storey car park in Passau. There are more than 2,600 lots. Hence reservation is not needed. The rates currently are:
- €4 per 24hrs (car park at Regensburger Straße 1, "Parkhaus Bahnhofstraße", max. height 2.05 m)
- €4.50 per day (car park near Obere Donaulände 11, "Parkhaus Donaupassage", max. height 2.10m)
- €40 per week, €12 per day (car park at Nikolastraße 4, next to the Shell station, max. height 2 m)
- €8.40 per day (car park at Obere Donaulände 5, "Parkhaus Schanzl", max. height: 2,05 m)
- €8.40 per day (underground car park at Römerplatz 2, "Tiefgarage Römerplatz", max. height: yes)
- Make use of one of the local parking services. A transfer into town or to your river cruise is usually included. Be prepared to hand in your car keys while you are away. Surcharges for motorhomes apply. (Feel free to contact us if you are unable to fill in any of the online booking forms.):
- Autohaus Ortner: >200 parking lots, all fenced in, partly sheltered, halls available. From €42 per week, €6 per additional day.
- Globus Group: From €56 per week. An English webpage shall be available soon.
- Stögbauer Logistik: 70 lots, all fenced in, €45 per seven days
- Donau Schiffs Reise Center Eckerl: Per week: from €57 (fenced in), €68 (big hall). Additional days: €6
- Germany is a safe place. So why not parking your vehicle on-street for free, for examplein in a residential, peripheral area. Check the traffic signs before and avoid getting a ticket.
(Prices per February 2018)
You will find some of the information above in a list published by the Passau Tourist Information: Long-term parking in Passau. In case you find this list being outdated (from 2016), use the latest German one (here) and compare its contents.
Please contact us in case one of the hyperlinks does not work anymore or prices changed. We will be happy to update it. Thank you very much in advance.